Wednesday, March 07, 2007

"ALL TOO TASTEFUL" Harpers Bazaar, March 07



Once upon a time, making a fashion statement was about selecting the perfect ensemble to attend the theatre, a christening or perhaps when embarking on an overseas voyage. Fashion originality wasn't in making headlines but rather in the details....after all Jacqui Kennedy-Onassis always wore white gloves when travelling by plane.
Recently I was reminded how far fashion has spiraled from the graceful days of past. While in an airport departure lounge, I found myself surrounded by thread-bare trackydacks, hastily coifed ponytails and thongs both on foot and peaking above waistband.
Sadly, the ensembles chosen by some to make a fashion statement these days are possibly...miniskirts at weddings and jeans at black tie events. Original...Hardly. Inappropriate...Definitely!
Therefore, I do not share Rita Wilson's obvious dismay at the absence of red carpet adventurers and feathered swans posing for the paparazzi this Oscar's season. The true award wining originals are the ones making the perfect statement of understatement...ever present grace, elegance and classic styling. All too tasteful....Pleeeease!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home